- Colour – Normally white, pale cream to pale pinkish brown
- Strength – Fairly hard
- Ease Of Drying – dries fairly well at a moderate rate and requires care in air-seasoning and kiln drying to prevent excessive shrinkage.
- Movement In Service – Large
- Preservative Treatment – Satisfactory
- Machining – Easy
- Steam Bending – Exceptional, even when knots and irregular grain are present. It can be bent to very small radii, which makes it particularly useful in the furniture industry.
- Nailing – Nails well
- Gluing – Glues well
- When sanded, stained and polished it produces an excellent, smooth finish suitable for all kinds of applications.