- Colour – Redwood timber has a reddish cast with a distinctive figuring caused by the growth rings.
- Strength – Medium overall strength. It is not a stiff timber and has a low shock resistance. It is very stable.
- Ease Of Drying – Dries well and only shrinks a little
- Movement In Service – Stable, low shock resistance
- Preservative Treatment – The sapwood is permeable for preservative treatment, but the heartwood is moderately resistant.
- Machining – Machines well
- Workability – Redwood timber works easily in general but knots or resin can sometimes cause problems. Grades vary and Unsorted Redwood and Vth Redwood are stocked by Illingworth Ingham (M/cr) Ltd, with the Unsorted having fewer knots.
- Nailing – Satisfactory
- Screwing – Satisfactory
- Gluing – Glues well
- Bending – Does not bend well
- Staining and Painting – Gives an excellent finish