Siberian Larch has been used in construction for centuries and in Russia it is quite common to find buildings constructed from Larch dating back over 800 years. It is ideal for exposed elevations or where there are likely to be knocks or scrapes as it is very hardwearing.
- Colour –Siberian Larch has a pale yellow-orange/brown colour
- Grain – Due to the fact that the trees are slow growing in the extreme climate the result is tight growth rings and a fine grain
- Impressive Dimensional Stability – This characteristic means that it has a low cost of installation and is low maintenance.
- Natural Resistance to Decay – Siberian Larch has a naturally high density which makes it more difficult for decaying organisms to penetrate the wood. The harsh Siberian climate means that Siberian Larch has a very high percentage of latewood (over 75%) and a very tight grain. This late wood is denser and stronger than early wood which means it is much more durable.
- The density means that it is difficult for water and fungi to penetrate the wood, making it naturally resistant to decay. It also has a high resin content which further enhances its resistance to decay and rot, surpassing Oak, Ash and Pine.
- One of the Toughest and Most Durable Softwoods in the World – Siberian Larch is very resinous and extremely hard. It is important to distinguish Siberian Larch from European Larch which is less durable and of a lower quality.
- Unlike British Larch the knots in Siberian Larch are light in colour and less likely to fall out after drying and machining. Siberian Larch can be sawn, drilled, machined or sanded without any problem. As it is a naturally beautiful wood very little finishing is required. For indoor applications it should be kiln dried.
- Illingworth Ingham (M/cr) Stock Availability – 1″ X 6″ ONLY
- Unsorted (1st-3rds)
This grade is usually used where a clean, contemporary appearance is required as it usually has a few, relatively small, tight knots.
This is the grade most commonly used for cladding. It contains more knots than the unsorted.
Contains all grades (1st-5th).
- Takes paint, varnish and polishes well.