- Colour – The sapwood of American White Ash is light coloured to nearly white. The degree and availability of light coloured sapwood, and other properties, will vary according to the growing regions. The heartwood varies from greyish brown to light brown, to pale yellow streaked with brown.
- Grain – Generally straight grained.
- Texture – It has a coarse uniform texture.
- Strength – American White Ash has very good overall strength properties relative to its weight. It has excellent shock resistance.
- Natural Durability – Non-resistant to heartwood decay. The sapwood is liable to attack by powder post and the common furniture beetle. The heartwood is moderately resistant to preservative treatment and the sapwood is permeable.
- Ease Of Drying – American White Ash dries fairly easily with minimal degrade. Illingworth Ingham (M/cr) Ltd supply kiln dried stock.
- Preservative Treatment – The heartwood is moderately resistant to preservative treatment and the sapwood is permeable.
- Sawing – Good
- Planing – Good
- Drilling – Good
- Boring – Good
- Turning – Excellent
- Carving – Good
- Moulding – Good
- Nailing – Good
- Screwing – Good
- Gluing – Good
- Steam Bending – Good
- Polishing – Polishes to a very good finish.
- Staining – Stains to a good finish.